The centre and heart of the city
The palace was originally built on the north side of Piazza Nuova (now Piazza Garibaldi) between 1283 and 1285, as “Palazzo dei Mercanti”, following the demolition of the pre-existing houses. In late Romanesque style, it consisted of two separate buildings, separated in the center by the narrow village of San Marco, no longer existing. Entirely covered in brick, it rose on a porch on the ground floor and was characterized on the first floor by two orders of mullioned windows and three-light windows; the facade was crowned by a battlement at the top. Lost its original mercantile functions, the building soon became the seat of the Captain of the city and, later, of the Governor, the Civil Auditor and other municipal magistrates; however, it kept unchanged the architectural structure for centuries.
