Strada Garibaldi, 11 - Parma (PR) – 43121

+39 3756630133

info@operaparma.it

Sanctuary Santa Maria della Steccata

The Basilica and its history

Among the many attractions of Parma, in the central Via Garibaldi, there is the Basilica of Santa Maria della Steccata, an admirable example of the Renaissance of the area. It was erected between 1521 and 1539 thanks to the work of Bernardino and Giovanni Francesco Zaccagni and its central plan with a Greek cross is inspired by Bramante. Towards the end of the fourteenth century, on the facade of the oratory that previously existed on the site of the present church, was made the painting of a Nursing Madonna, which soon became the object of particular devotion by the Parmesans. It was for this reason, because of the regular and intense influx of pilgrims, that the building was protected by a fence that gave rise to the current name. Here, to preserve the precious image of the Madonna, was then erected the great sanctuary, with the dome of Roman derivation built between 1526 and 1527 by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger.

The external can be divided into three levels: apses and corner chapels, roof and presbytery and dome. Particular attention has been paid to the position of the windows, studied in function of the internal paintings with the light that gradually spreads throughout the church. The intermediate spans are slightly shaded, the apse receives a diffused and abundant illumination, but it is the dome that is hit by the light more intensely. The arms that form the Greek cross plan are placed on the cardinal axes and closed by four large symmetrical apses, and guard four quadrangular chapels always intended for worship. The interior is decorated with frescoes of the Parma school of the seventeenth century. The Parmigianino, which was initially entrusted with the entire pictorial work, realizes only the frescoes of the eastern underworld. The work was in fact continued by Michelangelo Anselmi and Bernardino Gatti. No less interesting are the cabinet-making works for the sacred furnishings of the noble sacristy and the stalls of the choir of the knights. It is due to the will of Maria Luigia of Austria that, in 1823, a crypt was built to preserve the tombs of the dukes and princes of the houses Farnese and Bourbon Parma: in memory of the duchess was placed, at the entrance of the church, the group with the Pietà of Tommaso Bandini.

Discover the other places not to be missed in Parma

Duomo e battistero

Along with the Baptistery, Parma Cathedral is one of the most important monuments of the city for its beauty and historical importance.

Regio Theatre

The Teatro Regio di Parma, considered among the most prestigious and well-known in the world, was inaugurated on 16 May 1829 with Zaira, an opera specially composed for the occasion by Vincenzo Bellini.

Ducal Park

It has always been the “garden” of Parma. Built in 1561 as a private park, it was opened to the public only after the unification of Italy.

Pilotta Palace

Immense complex that takes its name from the game of Pelota, houses inside, among other things, the magnificent Palatine Library.

Palatina Library

The Palatina Library of Parma is a public library located inside the Palazzo della Pilotta. The name originates from the temple of Apollo Palatine of Rome.

Farnese Theatre

Built in 1618 on the first floor of Palazzo Pilotta, the theatre is made entirely of wood and decorated with faux marble.

Governor’s Palace and Piazza Garibaldi

Ideal location for temporary exhibitions and exhibitions, the Governor’s Palace dominates the central Piazza Garibaldi in Parma and tells a story that goes back over 700 years ago.

Visit the gallery of the city

×